Wednesday, February 20, 2008

eggstraordinary eggs!


Looks at these beautiful eggs. One of the great joys of having chickens is eggs. There is nothing quite like reaching into the nest box under the fluffy bloomers of a hen and pulling out a warm egg or two. Grocery store shopping would have you believe that eggs come in 2 colors (white and brown) and 3 sizes (small, medium and large) when in fact eggs come in a wide variety of colors and hues and the sizes change gradually with the age of the hen. You should see the teeny tiny egg from a young hen when she first starts laying! My personal favorite is the deep burgundy brown egg from our Wellsummer hens.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Laurie -

I completely agree on your points about the aesthetics of eggs. I am perhaps most fond of the green-blue eggs!

Kate

Anonymous said...

Laurie -

First time on your blog, love your picts.

I, too, was first facinated with all the different colors that eggs came in when I first came to have chickens. I am always facinated by the different sizes and shapes from the same hen as she ages... and I find it funny that my parents/siblings are stand off-ish on knowing where the eggs actually came from. I've had fresh eggs for 3 years, and I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to the store.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chicken Mama:
I'm planning on starting my own small flock of chickens. It's something I've dreamed of for years, and this year I'm going to do it! I've begun to build a chicken tractor and I'm looking for a good coop layout. What I'd really like to know is if you would let me be your apprentice for a week or two, so I can get some hands on experience. I'll tote your pails and rake your straw, in exchange for the chance to learn about chickens from an expert like you.

I've got lots of land and I'm planning on free-range chickens, a few for eggs and a few dozen for meat. I've found an Amish farmer who does slaughtering, and whose has graciously agreed to let me watch, learn and pitch in. (I do my own venison butchering, so I'm pretty confident I can master chickens.)

Can you help me, or can I help you?

Can't wait for my dream to be hatched!

Jaye Bergamini
Eaton Rapids MI